The Verizon Connect Messaging app is integrated into Verizon Connect Fleet and into the mobile apps WorkPlan and Workforce Mobile. It allows administrators and supervisors using Fleet to communicate with their drivers who are using one of the mobile apps.
This page contains questions and answers about the use of the Messaging application.
Which mobile apps support Verizon Connect Messaging?
You can use Verizon Connect Messaging from within WorkPlan and Workforce Mobile.
How do I send and receive messages using Verizon Connect Messaging?
Sending and receiving messages works similarly in Fleet and in the mobile apps. See the following help pages for more information:
- Verizon Connect Fleet - Mobile Messaging
- Verizon Connect Workforce Mobile - Using Messaging
- Verizon Connect WorkPlan - Using Messaging
Who can I send a message to, as a WorkPlan, Workforce Mobile, or Fleet user?
You can reply to anyone who has sent you a message. Every user has the right to reply to any messages that they receive from any other user.
You can send a new message to anyone who is in your contact list. If you start typing a user’s name into the "To" field and their name appears in the drop-down list underneath, you have permission to send a new message to this user. If their name does not appear in the list, you may not send a new message to this user. You cannot add the user’s email address.
Generally, the following rules apply:
- If you are an admin-level user, you can contact all other users in the organization.
- If you are using the "Fleets and Teams" screen, any user can contact any other user in teams that they have access to.
- If you are using the "Hierarchy" screen, users can contact other users who are at the same level or lower in the hierarchy. Rights and roles can further restrict who can contact whom; for example, depending on whether someone is a Fleet user or mobile user.
As a Fleet user with admin-level rights, you can define who can initiate messages to whom. For details on how to do this, see Defining Who Can Contact Whom.
Can I initiate messages to someone who is higher than me in the hierarchy?
If your organization uses the "Hierarchy" screen to manage users, sending new messages to someone who is higher than you in the hierarchy is not supported. However, contacting everyone in your organization is supported if you are using the "Fleets and Teams" screen for managing users. For more information, see Defining Who Can Contact Whom.
Contact support if you have additional requirements for managing users and who can initiate messages to whom.
What happens if I use both the "Hierarchy" and "Fleets and Teams"?
Determining who can contact whom is easiest when you use either the "Hierarchy" or "Fleets and Teams". When you use both at the same time, the configuration gets more complicated. Teams or roles that you define can override hierarchy positions and it might be possible for users to contact other users that are higher in the hierarchy than them.
Which rights affect access to Messaging?
The following three rights can be used to allow and restrict the ability for a user to initiate a message to other users:
- Can contact platform users - Whether or not a user can initiate messages to Fleet users.
- Can contact mobile users - Whether or not a user can initiate messages to WorkPlan or Workforce Mobile users.
- Can contact groups - Whether or not a user can initiate messages to groups of users; for example, to an entire node in the hierarchy.
Fleet users with admin-level rights can change these rights on the "Rights" tab of the "Roles" screen. For more information see Roles Screen. Go to the "Rights Tab" section and find "Mobile Messaging" in the table.
How does Messaging determine whether I am a Fleet or Mobile user?
Messaging differentiates between Fleet and Mobile users when determining who can contact whom. To determine which type of user you are, Messaging uses the permissions set for the rights "Fleet Access" and "Mobile Access" on the "Rights" tab of the "Roles" screen. For more information, see Roles Screen.
What happens if a user is assigned to several roles or hierarchy nodes?
If a user is assigned to several hierarchy nodes, the user can contact other users that are at the same level or lower in each hierarchy node. The same applies to roles.
Can I stop users from replying to a message?
No. Users can reply to any message they receive. This means that users can reply to other users who are higher in the hierarchy and who are not in their contact list.
Who else can see a reply message?
- When recipients reply to a message sent directly and only to them, only the original sender sees the reply message.
- When recipients reply to a message sent to several other individual users, the original sender and all other users in the recipients’ contact list see the reply message.
- When recipients reply to a message sent to a group, it is as though the message was sent to several individual users. The original sender and all other users within the group that are in the recipients’ contact list see the reply message.
For how long are messages shown in the Messaging app?
By default, messages are shown in the messages list for two weeks. This applies to Fleet, WorkPlan, and Workforce Mobile. To change the length of time that messages are shown, contact support.
What happens to messages when they are no longer visible in the app?
Messages are saved on our servers for six months and are then deleted.